[Numpy-discussion] Building Numeric with a native blas ?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 30 09:33:03 EDT 2004

David M. Cooke wrote:
> Atlas might have installed a liblapack, with the (few) functions that it
> overrides with faster ones. It's by no means a complete LAPACK
> installation. Have a look at the difference in library sizes; a full
> LAPACK is a few megs; Atlas's routines are a few hundred K.

OK, I'm really confused now. I got it working, but it seems to have
virtually identical performance to the Numeric-supplied lapack-lite.

I'm guessing that the LAPACK package I emerged does NOT use the atlas BLAS.

if the atlas liblapack doesn't have all of lapack, how in the world are
you supposed to use it? I have no idea how I would get the linker to get
what it can from the atlas lapack, and the rest from another one.

Has anyone done this on Gentoo? If not how about another linux distro, I
don't have to use portage for this after all.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov