[Numpy-discussion] Building Numeric with a native blas -- On Windows

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 30 13:15:06 EDT 2004

Hi all,

just to keep this thread moving--- I'm trying to get Numeric working
with a native lapack on Windows also. I know little enough about this
kindo f thing on LInux, and I'm really out of my depth on Windows.

This is what I have done so far:

After much struggling, I got Numeric to compile using setup.py, and MS
Visual Studio .NET 2003 (or whatever the heck it's called!)

It all seems to work fine with the include lapack-lite.

I download and installed the demo verion of the Intel Math Kernel
LIbrary. I set up various paths so that setup.py find the libs, but now
I get linking errors:

unresolved external symbol _dgeev_ referenced in function
_lapack_lite_dgetrf

And a whole bunch of others, all corresponding to the various LaPack calls.

I am linking against Intel's mkl_c.lib, which is supposed tohave
everything in it. Indeed, if I look in teh lib file, I find, for example:

...evx._DGEEV._dgeev._DGB ...

so it lkooks like they are there, but perhaps referred to with only one
underscore, at the beginning, rather than one at each end.

Now I'm stuck.

I suppose I could use ATLAS, but it looked like it was going to take
some effort to compile that under with MSVC.

Has anyone gotten a native BLAS working on Windows? if so, how?

Thanks, Chris