[Numpy-discussion] The value of a native Blas

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Thu Jul 29 13:28:07 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 13:00, Perry Greenfield wrote:

> Well, I guess we are :-) Let us know what you had to do to get it to work.

This is so Absoft-specific that I'm not sure how much it helps others,
but here goes:  I built LAPACK after modifing the make.inc.LINUX file to
set the compiler and linker to /opt/absoft/bin/f77 instead of to g77,
and the compile flags to "-O3 -YNO_CDEC".  I ran "make config" in the
ATLAS directory and told the setup that /opt/absoft/bin/f77 was my
Fortran compiler, then did "make install arch=", then followed the
scipy.org instructions to combine LAPACK with the one from ATLAS.
Finally, I applied the attached patch to addons.py in the numarray
directory.

Interestingly, the example program runs in 1.43 seconds on a 2.26GHz P4
with the default numarray install (as opposed to 4.95 seconds on the
Athlon).  I haven't built ATLAS on this platform yet to find how much of
an improvement I get.

I suppose something similar would work with g77, replacing the Absoft
libraries with g2c, but I haven't tried it.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge