[Numpy-discussion] The value of a native Blas

Paulo J. S. Silva rsilva at ime.usp.br
Fri Jul 30 12:01:12 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have took some time today to do some benchmark on different uses of
lapack in an Athlon Thunderbird 1.2Gz. Here it goes:

------

Vanilla numarray
It took 9.970000 seconds to solve a 1000X1000system

numarray vanilla blas and lapack
It took 7.010000 seconds to solve a 1000X1000system

numarray atlas blas and vanilla lapack
It took 1.050000 seconds to solve a 1000X1000system

numarray atlas blas and lapack
It took 0.760000 seconds to solve a 1000X1000system

------

One nice touch is that matlab takes 1.3s to solve a system
of the same size with the notation A\b. Hence numarray is actually
faster than matlab to solve linear system :-) I know, probably there
is a way to make matlab use the faster atlas library...

Paulo

--
Paulo José da Silva e Silva
Professor Assistente do Dep. de Ciência da Computação

e-mail: rsilva at ime.usp.br          Web: http://www.ime.usp.br/~rsilva

Teoria é o que não entendemos o    (Theory is something we don't)
suficiente para chamar de prática. (understand well enough to call)
                                   (practice)