[off topic] Re: [Numpy-discussion] numarray speed - PySequence_GetItem

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Tue Jun 29 13:21:07 EDT 2004

I'd bet a case of beer (or cash equivalent) that one of the main
bottlenecks is the path
PySequence_GetItem->_ndarray_item->_universalIndexing->_simpleIndexing->_simpleIndexingCore.
The path through _universalIndexing in particular, if I deciphered it
correctly,  looks very slow. I don't think it needs to be that way
though, _universalIndexing could probably be sped up, but more promising
I think _ndarray_item could be made to call _simpleIndexingCore without
all that much work. It appears that this would save the creation of
several intermediate objects and it also looks like a couple of calls
back to python! I'm not familiar with this code though, so I could
easily be missing something that makes calling _simpleIndexingCore
harder than it looks.

-tim