[Numpy-discussion] numarray: shape of scalar

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Tue Mar 9 10:29:21 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 13:00, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Hi,
> Is this intended:

Yes.

> (3,)
> (2,)
> (1,)
> ()
>
> Why is na.array([1]).shape not equal to na.array(1).shape ?

na.array(1) is how you say "make a rank-0 array with contents 1".  There
are places where it is natural and useful in the *implementation* of
numarray.

> Did I miss the respective section in the manual ?

rank-0 arrays are a dark corner of numarray which is mostly hidden.  I
don't think they're documented anywhere.

Regards,
Todd

--
Todd Miller <jmiller at stsci.edu>