[Numpy-discussion] interpolating arrays (?)

Warren Focke focke at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 22 20:20:00 EST 2004

Would you consider Fourier interpolation?

interpolated = FFT.inverse_real_fft(FFT.real_fft(data), desiredLength) * \
	desiredLength / len(data)

This works whether desiredLength is less or greater than len(data).  The
trick here is that inverse_real_fft discards data or zero-pads at high
frequencies.  I keep toying with the idea of modifying the complex
version to do the same, I cannot imagine a use for the current behavior
(truncate or pad at small negative frequencies).

There can be some pretty wierd edge effects, they can often be defeated
with padding, or, better yet, overlapping segments.  Geting that right
might be harder than fixing your approach.

It has the nice feature that it is information-preserving:  if you
interpolate to a higher number of points, then back to the original, you
should get the same numbers back, give or take a little bit of rounding
error.

Warren Focke