[Numpy-discussion] Counting array elements

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Nov 1 07:37:34 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 12:31, Perry Greenfield wrote:

[SNIP]

> > the wrong choice. Not sure what is really best, although personally
> > feel breaking compatibility is fine if the result is better. Is there
> > not already a sub-package numeric within numarray that provides Numeric
> > compatibility? Such a package could at  least provide wrappers with
> > compatible behavior for people who need that.
> >
> At the moment the numeric module provides more Numeric compatibility
> (but not complete). In matplotlib we use a module called numerix to
> provide a uniform interface to both Numeric and numerix (along with

In anyone was scratching their head, I think Perry meant to say "both
Numeric and numarray" here.  In particular,  matplotlib's array package
proxy,  numerix,  uses numarray.numeric and some of the add-ons to
supply Numeric-like functionality.  Because numarray.numeric is
Numeric-like,  it is actually a subset of numarray,  with differences in
put(), take(), and nonzero() among other things.  On the plus side,  the
simpler numeric put(), take(), and nonzero() are ports (can't get more
compatible... any difference is a bug) and pure C (so they're faster for
small arrays... but still slower than Numeric).

Regards,
Todd