[Numpy-discussion] numarray patch: use Apple's vecLib on Mac OS X

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Tue Nov 23 07:07:07 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 16:11 -0800, Chris Barker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I forwarded this thread to Bob Ippolito, the original author of that
> patch. He's not on this list. I do suggest that any questions about OS-X
> be sent to the Pythonmac-SIG list,

I'll try...

> as there are some folks there that
> really know what they are doing. Anyway, here's his comments:
>
> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
> Two things:
> 1) Apple can't (or rather, won't ever) change their framework location.
> 2) Darwin might be Darwin and not Mac OS X, which won't have vecLib.
> 3) Checking for both is silly, because you won't reasonably ever have
> the path to vecLib on a non-Darwin platform.. and if you somehow do,
> it'll probably work anyway.

That's enough for me.  I'm thinking we should just keep Andrew's port of
Bob's patch, already committed to CVS, as is.  If any one has any
further comments about this please let me know.  I realize I'm probably
blowing around like a weather vane,  but I'm no Mac expert,  so I'm
relying on your collective guidance.

Thanks everyone for their input:  Bob, Andrew, Andrea, Robert, and
Chris.

Regards,
Todd

[snip]