[Numpy-discussion] Numeric to numarray experiences

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 5 13:02:01 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 03:17 pm, Stephen Walton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:41, Raik Grünberg wrote:
> > Our sysadmin noted that unlike Numeric, numarray is not using any
> > external math libraries (like LAPACK) that have been speed-optimized for
> > decades and are available in CPU-optimized variants (e.g. ATLAS). It's
> > probably difficult to match this efficiency with any new code ...
>
> This is a key point.  Have a look at addons.py in numarray, some
> previous comments on this list, and build numarray with the line
>
> env USE_LAPACK=1 python setup.py build
>
> after editing addons.py appropriately.  You should see a major speed
> improvement.

I would kindly suggest updating the numarray documentation. In the section on
installation, it is easy to overlook the option to compile againist existing
libraries. That is explained in section 16, which appears to be out of date.
The code listed in Packages/LinearAlgebra2/setup.py has been moved to
addons.py, correct?

--

Darren