[Numpy-discussion] Numeric to numarray experiences

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Tue Oct 5 16:15:31 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 16:00, Flavio Coelho wrote:
> I wrote
> > env USE_LAPACK=1 python setup.py build
> >
> > after editing addons.py appropriately.  You should see a major speed
> > improvement.
> >

> If that is the case, why is it not the default?, at least when LAPACK
> is installed?

Well, I won't pretend to speak for the developers on this one.  But I
strongly suspect it is just too hard to find all possible LAPACK
distributions;  the default numarray setup should be self contained even
if somewhat slower.  The current version of Numeric also defaults to its
own built-in BLAS and requires editing setup.py to use a different one.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge