[Numpy-discussion] ieeespecial

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Sun Oct 10 18:44:38 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 15:47, Darren Dale wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting invalid numeric result exceptions when dividing a complex array
> by zero. Is this the desired behavior?

This is what I would have expected,  and examining the definition I have
for complex division in numarray/Include/numarray/numcomplex.h,  I don't
see a problem.   The definition should probably be checked by an extra
set of eyes.  Looks OK to me.

> Also, while trying to find a way around the above problem, I ran
> ieeespecial.test and got the following output. I am running numarray 1.1 on
> python 2.3.3. Todd, this might be correlated with the numerix package in
> matplotlib. I tried importing numarray and ieeespecial without matplotlib and
> the ieeespecial.test was successful.

I tried this with an ordinary Python shell and ieeespecial.test()
completed without errors.  Looking at your test output,  I noticed it
was skewed, and guessed there was an I/O synchronization issue messing
up doctest.  I tried the same test under IPython w/o matplotlib and
duplicated your results,  so I think the problem is an IPython/doctest
issue.

Regards,
Todd