[Numpy-discussion] Counting array elements

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 22 11:07:32 EDT 2004

Stephen Walton wrote:

 > There is a difference between the sum() Ufunc and the sum() method which
 > is not mentioned in the documentation:  the function works along an
 > axis, while the method works on the whole array.  That is, A.sum() and
 > A.flat.sum() are equivalent regardless of the rank of A.

Bummer. I was hoping this was a move to a more object-oriented style,
rather than different functionality. Also, it's pretty confusing
terminology, particularly if it's not documented! Why not .SumAll() or
something?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov