[Numpy-discussion] Counting array elements

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Fri Oct 22 14:37:05 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 11:17, Russell E Owen wrote about the sum() Ufunc
vs. the sum() method:

> Numarray is already confusing enough without identically
> named functions and methods that do different things

When I went through the Numarray docs and made suggestions for
improvements (see the list I posted at Sourceforge), I didn't make any
comments about functional changes, only what the documentation said.
Since the sum() method is documented using 1-D arrays, you can't tell
that it in fact behaves differently than the sum() Ufunc.  On
reflection, I also agree that the Ufuncs and methods should behave the
same way.

Why do you say 'numarray is confusing'?  What in the docs would help
un-confuse it, in your view?

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge