[Numpy-discussion] extracting a random subset of a vector

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 7 16:38:16 EDT 2004

[Replying to the list instead of just Jp. Sorry, Jp! Mail readers will
be the death of me.]

Jp Calderone wrote:

> Chris Barker wrote:
>
>> Curzio Basso wrote:
>>
>>> a question about the method: isn't a bit risky to use the clock() for
>>> timing the performance? The usual argument is that CPU allocates time
>>> for different processes, and the allocation could vary.
>>

>> that's why I use time.clock() rather than time.time().
>>

>   Perhaps clearing up a mutually divergent assumption:  time.clock()
> measures CPU time on POSIX and wallclock time (with higher precision
> than time.time()) on Win32.

FWIW, the idiom recommended by Tim Peters is the following:

import time
import sys

if sys.platform == 'win32':
     now = time.clock
else:
     now = time.time

and then using now() to get the current time.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter