[Numpy-discussion] doc bug in numarray 1.1

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Sep 15 13:35:04 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 11:38, Chris Barker wrote:

> great. Do we need to submit a bug report, or is someone going to do this?

I think I'm about to change my mind again;  I was sort of right the
first time.  Sorry to bug the list with this kind of 'thinking out
loud.'  Listing the vendor specific Fortran libraries is necessary, but
if and only if one built ATLAS and LAPACK with your vendor's compiler;
those do contain actual Fortran sources.  I haven't done serious
benchmarks to find out how much faster LAPACK and ATLAS might be with
Absoft Fortran (my compiler) than with g77.  If there are some
benchmarks I can run to experiment with this, I'd be happy to try them.
Otherwise maybe we should all just build with g77 and forget about it.
The resulting libraries can be called from Absoft-compiled programs with
no difficulty.

So, I haven't formally reported a bug on Sourceforge yet because I'm not
sure how it should read.

> By the way, if it is found that different library lists are needed for
> different systems, it would be nice to have a small selection of list of
> commented out options:

I agree.  As they get submitted, they could be added.
> Also:
> Shouldn't this be inside the "if" above ?

I haven't looked at the code carefully enough.

> Though I suppose it doesn't hurt to search non-exisitant directories.

I've hit too many unanticipated side effects to have directories listed
which aren't needed.  Too much chance of picking up an unintended
library.

> By the way. I set the USE_LAPACK environment variable. Is there a way to
> pass it in as an option to setup.py instead?

I would think there should be.  When building Scipy with Absoft, one
uses an option "fc_compiler=Absoft" on the setup.py command line.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge