[Numpy-discussion] Numeric 24.0

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Apr 6 12:28:50 EDT 2005

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:

> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> Again,  scipy.base should *replace* Numerical Python for all users
>

> Sorry, I give up. I have been very happy with Numerical Python so far
> and the new Numerical Python just looks too much like SciPy to me.
> It's even called scipy.base. In practical terms, what I've noticed is
> that what used to work with Numerical Python no longer works with
> Numeric3. For example:

It's apparent you have negative pre-conceptions about scipy (even though
scipy has always just built on top of Numeric so I'm not sure what your
difficulties have been).  This is unfortunate.  scipy.base is going to
be a lot more like Numeric than scipy was.  So, I think you can relax.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> NameError: name 'argmax' is not defined

This is only because the conversion hasn't completely taken place (I'm
not importing the numeric.py module in __init__ yet because it hasn't
been adjusted).     Remember ndarray is just a place-holder while
development happens, so of course quite a few things aren't there yet.
I've been swamped so far.    from ndarray import * won't even be the
name to use.   The package won't be called ndarray.   This is all just
for temporary development purposes.     All of what you belive should
work will still continue to work.   So, relax.....

> From what I understand from the discussion, "from Numeric import *"
> will still work, but it will be deprecated, which means that I will
> have to change my code at some point. Not to mention the other
> packages (LinearAlgebra, RandomArray, etc.). It's just too much trouble.

Deprecated means new documentation won't teach that approach, that's
pretty much it.  The approach will still be supported for quite a while
so people can switch when and if they want.  I don't see "the trouble"
at all.

> Anyway, I am about to change jobs (I will be moving to Columbia
> University soon), so I have decided to take some time off the
> Numerical Python project and see where we stand in a few months time.
> Hopefully, the situation will have cleared up by then.

Sounds like an exciting move.   Perhaps I can meet you in person if I'm
in New York or if you are every in Utah.    I sincerely hope you will
find the new scipy.base to your liking.   I can promise you that your
concerns are near the top of my list.    It's too bad you can't help us
get there more quickly.

-Travis