[Numpy-discussion] Questions about the array interface.

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Fri Apr 8 14:05:05 EDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005, at 6:44 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I can't think of anything you've missed.
>
> I'm very supportive of this, but I have to finish scipy.base first.
> I think Perry is supportive as well.  I know he's been playing
> catch-up in the reading.   I'm not sure of Todd's opinion.   I suspect
> he would welcome these changes to Python.
>
> My preference order is
>
> 1) the ndarray module and ndarray.h  header with these interface
> definitions and methods. 2) Add array interface attributes to array
> module
> 3) Flesh out locked buffer API
> 4) Bytes object (with Pickling support)
> 5) Fix current buffer object.

I agree as well (I think).  Just to be sure I'll restate. These issues
are all important, and the the discussion has been very useful to flesh
out the proposed array protocol. Nevertheless, I'd put the priority of
getting these into Python, or accepted by the Python Dev community
lower than actually implementing Numeric3 (aka scipy.base) to the point
that it acceptable to both Numeric and numarray communities. True,
subsequent changes forced by the acceptance process may require
reworking in scipy.base, but I put unification far ahead of getting
these various components finished and into Python. I think that's what
Travis is getting at too.

I've been tied up in other things, but frankly, I haven't seen that
much that I have objected to so far in the array protocol discussions
to warrant comments from me. I think it has been pretty well done (and
I'm about to leave town so I'm going to be out of touch for a week or
so, at least mostly)

Perry