[Numpy-discussion] numarray cholesky solver ?

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Fri Apr 15 07:21:23 EDT 2005

On Apr 15, 2005, at 10:09 AM, Piotr Luszczek wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the Cholesky routine that's been mentioned (dpotrs) is from LAPACK (I
> apologize if every body knows that).
>
> I'm on the LAPACK team right now and we were wondering if we should
> provide bindings for Python. It is almost trivial to do with Pyrex.
> But Numeric and numarray already have some functionality in it.
> Also, I don't know about popularity of PyLapack.
>
> So my question is if there is a need for the specialized LAPACK
> routines. And if so, which API it should use (Numeric, numarray,
> Numeric3, scipy_core, standard array, minimum standard array
> implementation
> or array protocol meta info).
>
> Any comments are appreciated,
>
> Piotr Luszczek

If you don't need anything unusual, using the Numeric C-API should be
safe. There is the intent to preserve backward compatibility for that
in numarray and Numeric3 for the most part (numarray's ufunc api is
different however, but it isn't clear you need to use that). Numeric3
and numarray will/do have other capabilities not part of the Numeric
api, but again, I suspect that for a first version, one can probably
avoid needing those. I'd also like to hear what Travis thinks about
this.

Perry Greenfield