[Numpy-discussion] numarray cholesky solver ?

pearu at cens.ioc.ee pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Fri Apr 15 23:09:01 EDT 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Piotr Luszczek wrote:

> > You'll probably first want to look at scipy, which already wraps (all?
> > most?) of LAPACK in its scipy.linalg package (including dpotrs :-)
>
> It seems to have almost all routines.

You should look at scipy.lib.lapack package that has more wrappers than in
scipy.linalg and it will be used in scipy.linalg in future.
scipy.lib.lapack certainly does not wrap all of LAPACK but adding new
wrappers is easy and is done on demand basis. What's wrapped and what's
not in scipy.lib.lapack is well documented in the headers of .pyf.src
files. My current plan is to add CLAPACK sources to scipy.lib.lapack so
that it could be included to Numeric3 project because it has a requirement
that everything should compile having only C compiler available.

> We've been thinking about languages for a while. CLAPACK user base
> is too strong to ignore. So we think of keeping F77 as the base language.
> Or maybe we should do f90toC. f2c and f2j are on Netlib already and
> f2py has some F90 support.

f2py will have limited support for F90 derived types as soon as I get a
chance to review Jeffrey Hagelberg patches on this. However, keeping F77
as the base language is a good idea, imho, free F90 compilers are still
rare these days.

Pearu