[Numpy-discussion] Re[2]: [SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Thoughts on?==?ISO-8859-1?Q? making it easier for numarray users to tra?==?ISO-8859-1?Q?nsition to scipy core

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Wed Dec 14 12:09:06 EST 2005

> On Wednesday 14 December 2005 1:28 am, Peter Verveer wrote:
> Sofar I have been very comfortable to make my package
> available under the license that is used by numarray. The
> same would be true for a scipy_core/scipy version.
> However, for a general C package that could have a much
> broader audience in the same way, I feel different.
> I would most likely release such a package using the GPL.
> In addition, that would allow me to  use other GPL
> licensed software such as GSL with it.

"Use with" means many things.

You write it, you choose the license, of course.

But as an academic user/observer, rather than a substantial
contributor, I have noticed that if your goal is to see your
code used and improved, it is not clear that the GPL is the
best way to pursue that goal.  See e.g. the history of
Matplotlib and MayaVi.  (Or Python itself, for that matter,
for a larger example.)  Each case is individual, of course.
If you need extant GPL code to be an *integral* part of your
code, that makes the GPL natural.

fwiw,
Alan