[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3 status

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Feb 3 04:22:18 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Besides this, Numeric 30.0 will not include any FFT's, LinearAlgebra,
> or Random Numbers (these are all provided much more proficiently by
> SciPy).

I use Numeric's LinearAlgebra and RandomArray quite a lot and I will
really miss these if they are absent in Numeric 30.0. While it is true
that these can be provided by SciPy, the drawback is that SciPy is
harder to install. Since linear algebra, random numbers, and possibly
FFTs are such basic numerical routines, I think they should be included
in a Numeric instead of requiring users to download and install both
Numeric and SciPy. Especially for new users, that may be a bridge too far.

--Michiel.