[Numpy-discussion] Re: [Python-Dev] Clarification sought about including a multidimensional array object into Python core

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Feb 9 16:54:01 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> In other words, what I'm saying is that in terms of how the array object
> should be structure, a lot is known.  What is more controversial is
> should the design be built upon Numarray's object structure (a mixture
> of Python and C), or on Numeric's --- all in C

To me, this sounds like an implementation detail. I'm sure it is an
important detail, as I understand all of this is mostly done for
performance reasons. The PEP should list the options, include criteria
for selection, and then propose a choice. People can then discuss
whether the list of options is complete (if not, you need to extend
it), whether the criteria are agreed (they might be not, and there
might be difficult consensus, which the PEP should point out), and
whether the choice is the right one given the criteria (there should
be no debate about this - everybody should agree factually that the
choice meets the criteria best).

Regards,
Martin