[Numpy-discussion] Re: Numeric life as I see it

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 10 11:08:03 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> I personally don't see
> Numeric3 as in any kind of "need for speed" camp either.

Now I'm confused. As an interested observer, It seems to me that there
is only one thing that is keeping users of Numeric from switching to
numarray:

"Performance with many small arrays"

Which seems to boil down to:

"Time to create a new array"

There are other small details, but from following the discussion, that
seems to be the only show stopper. I understood that the goal of
Numeric3 was to exactly solve that problem, while still getting all the
nifty benefits of numarray.

Another nit: "speed" in not one goal. I understand that one of the goals
of numarray was top performance for very large arrays. In fact, it's
ironic that someone discovered that it was a safety check in Numeric
that was causing it to be slower than Numarray with large arrays.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov