[Numpy-discussion] Response to PEP suggestions

Colin J. Williams cjw at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 19 05:45:28 EST 2005

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:

> On 18.02.2005, at 23:45, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> While open to the idea for Python 3000, Guido does not seem
>> favorable  to the idea for Python 2.X The problem, Guido mentions was
>> that  float-like objects can convert to ints by truncation and he
>> doesn't  want to allow floats to be used as indexes.   He feels it
>> would break  too much code.
>

> I can agree with that. Basically the problem is the type hierarchy
> that  is too simple (but many if not most programming language suffer
> from  that problem). Type conversions are all handled in the same way,
> which  doesn't give enough flexibility. But we won't change that of
> course.
>
>> Of course underneath, a is not an array of integers (it is an array
>> of  homogeneous c-ints converted from the Python integer and so why
>> should  a[0] be a Python integer).
>

> That would basically mean to change the status of arrays from
> generalized sequence objects to something different. Why not, but
> then  this should be made clear to the programmer, in particular by
> having a  different printed representation for rank-0 arrays and
> scalars. It also  means adding some conversion functions, e.g. for
> extracting a Python  Object from a rank-0 Python Object array.
>
> Still, I am worried about two aspects:
>
> 1) The amount of confusion this generates among users. The
> distinction  between scalars and rank-0 arrays has no utility for the
> programmer, it  exists only for implementation and political reasons.
> I am not looking  forward to explaining this in my Python courses for
> beginners.

(+1)
If we consider an array as a sequence of objects  of a fixed type,
numeric or other, it makes sense that when a single object is returned
then an object of that type be returned, coverted if necessary for Int8
etc.  Returning a zero rank array is an historical pain.

It might make sense if all traditional Python objects were of zero rank
I can see no merit in that.

> 2) Compatibility with existing code. I am not sure I will convert my
> code to such conventions any time soon, because it requires
> inspecting  every single indexing operation in its particular context
> to see if the  index could be a rank-0 integer array. There is no way
> to spot those  cases by textual analysis. So this change could reduce
> acceptance to  the point where there is no interest in pursuing the
> project any more.

I thought that the intent of Numeric 3 was to produce the best - a new
start, without being overly concerned about compatibility.

I was glad to see the proposal to abandon "ravel" ( a hangover from
APL?).  Words should have a clear generally accepted meaning.  For
"ravel" dictionary.com offers:

       1. To separate the fibers or threads of (cloth, for example);
          unravel.
       2. To clarify by separating the aspects of.
       3. To tangle or complicate.

Colin W.