[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Fri Feb 4 01:13:14 EST 2005

On 04.02.2005, at 05:46, Robert Kern wrote:

> I think this is the point that some people are missing. Numeric3 is
> intended to be the multiarray object proposed to go into the standard
> library. FFTs

Wasn't numarray as well?

> So for people who need LinearAlgebra, et al., their current situation
> is this:
>
>   ThirdPartyPackage depends on Numeric and a standard Python
>   distribution.
>
> Their new situation would be this:
>
>   ThirdPartyPackage depends on NumericExtras and a standard Python
>   distribution.

Fine. But before then, Numeric3 will get a lot less testing than it
should if it can be used only by power-users who write all their
scientific code themselves.

> If you need to depend on these modules with their current interfaces,
> then someone needs to step up to support it. This support probably
> must come from the people who need the current interfaces. For far too
> long, the responsibility of maintaining Numeric and its extras has
> been saddled on people who don't have (current) interest in them.

There is no responsibility at all in the OpenSource world. I am not
criticizing the idea of making Numeric3 a subset of current Numeric, I
am just pointing out that it will be much less used (and tested) as a
result.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen