[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Peter Verveer verveer at embl.de
Sun Feb 6 14:52:10 EST 2005

On Feb 6, 2005, at 7:33 PM, Stephen Walton wrote:

> Peter Verveer wrote:
>

>> On Feb 6, 2005, at 5:41 PM, konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:
>>
>>> My personal approach is that operations should be expressed in terms
>>> of problem-specific classes in which the internal use of arrays is
>>> an implementation detail.
>>>
>>> There are arguments for and against both approaches, and I think
>>> there is space (meme space) for both.
>>

>> That more or less sums up my approach too. I tend to program in a mix
>> of these two approaches.
>
> I'm both largely a lurker here and a Python naif, at least when it
> comes to the more object oriented aspects.  I'd be interested in
> seeing snippets of code illustrating the second approach here, as
> opposed to the array oriented approach with which I'm familiar.

I guess it it a bit hard just to give a snippet, but maybe I can
explain what it means for me. I use numarray mainly as part of
implementing command-line programs that perform specific data analysis
tasks. So python with numarray replaced for me what used to done in C
or Fortran. To make the code reusable and flexible I use the
programming constructs that Python offers, like classes and such.
Obviously array orient numerics remains a part of that, you have to get
the actual calculations done using the array functions. I usually have
the array part still exposed at some level, but from what Konrad said,
it appears he takes that a step further and he hides the actual
mechanics of doing the calculations with arrays completely away.

I suppose most people that use python+numarray/numeric will do this to
differents extents, but I guess many people like to have a more
interactive enviroment, where you can type your commands and see the
results straight away, which I guess matlab is very good at. I don't do
that much, I prefer to design and write a program that does the task
that needs to be done. Python+numarray provide a great programming
language compared to C or Fortran in terms of programmer productivity.
In this light, it may be understandable that I am not so much
interested in having a python based numerical enviroment as much as in
having a good repository of numeric algorithms that I can use in my
programs.

Peter