[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Feb 6 19:58:22 EST 2005

>"Travis" == Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> writes:
>

>     Travis> Matplotlib as well is reinventing stuff already available
>     Travis> elsewhere.  SciPy has always tried to bring a matlab-like
>     Travis> environment to the user.  That's always been my goal.  It
>     Travis> is frustrating to see so many with the same goal work so
>     Travis> independently of each other.  Sometimes I guess it is
>     Travis> necessary so that new ideas can be tried out.  But, it
>     Travis> sure seems to happen more often than I would like with
>     Travis> Python and Science / Engineering.

Speaking of code reinvention, it seems that SciPy contains some very
useful code that overlaps with existing Python or Numerical Python code.
Such code would reach more users if it were better integrated with
existing code outside of SciPy. For example, I would love to see SciPy's
additions to distutils integrated with Python's distutils, e.g. if that
would allow users to easily compile fortran code.