[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Mon Feb 7 13:50:26 EST 2005

On 07.02.2005, at 20:57, Chris Barker wrote:

> I may be wrong about that. It certainly has BLAS, but I didn't patch
> Numeric's setup.py, so I'm not sure how that worked.

I checked on Apple's developer site: there is an optimized BLAS in
vecLib, plus the standard CLAPACK.

> Neither do I, so maybe that's why. Frankly, though, fink is command
> line also, and a really ugly one, in my experience!

There is Fink Commander, which is only 95% as ugly as the Fink command
line ;-)

> I number of folks seem to think darwinports is a better alternative. I
> think, if  nothing else, they make greater effort to use
> Apple-supplied libraries, when they exist. I still want to try Gentoo.
> I love it for Linux (once the system is installed, anyway!)

I am seriously out of time for playing with installations at the
moment, but I am always interested to hear about alternatives to Fink.

I like the gentoo approach as well in principle, but I also know that
compiling tons of stuff on an iBook is a real challenge.

> And get a nifty Apple-style point and click package. This is thanks to
> Bob Ippolito's Py2App.

I'll have to look at that one!

> open source libs. Also, Apple has not provided a standard package
> manager. I can build an rpm (or deb, or ebuild) for a given version of
> Linux,

Yes, that's a big issue. Apple has done a nice job with its
application-directory system for handling stand-along applications, but
there is little support for the OpenSource world's building block
approach. I guess this is why Fink opted for a complete subsystem
around Debian packages.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen