[Numpy-discussion] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: Numeric life as I see it

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Feb 10 00:39:23 EST 2005

On 10.02.2005, at 05:36, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> And why would a Matrix need to inherit from a C-array? Wouldn't it
> make more sense from an OO POV for the Matrix to *have* a C-array
> without *being* one?

Definitely. Most array operations make no sense on matrices. And
matrices are limited to two dimensions. Making Matrix a subclass of
Array would be inheritance for implementation while removing 90% of the
interface.

On the other hand, a Matrix object is perfectly defined by its
behaviour and independent of its implementation. One could perfectly
well implement one using Python lists or dictionaries, even though that
would be pointless from a performance point of view.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,