[Numpy-discussion] random and RandomArray

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 16 20:06:17 EST 2005

Bruce Southey wrote:
> Hi,
> I was browsing through some of the code and realized that certain random number
> generators occur in both the Python random module and RandomArray.
>
> The random module uses C code to get a scalar uniform random number that is
> modified in Python by other generators to get random numbers from other
> distributions. In RandomArray everything is done in the C code - obviously this
> is way faster especially for arrays.
>
> In the long term, would it make sense to get use the same random number
> generators in both random and RandomArray?

I think that it is certainly feasible and desirable that when/if a
multiarray object enters the standard library that the standard random
module be extended to produce arrays as well.

I don't think it's terribly worthwhile to hack the random module to
expose its PRNG so that we use it's implementation without duplicating
code. I think the result will be quite fragile, and won't be useful
until Python 2.5.

I do think it would be extremely worthwhile to implement the Mersenne
Twister for numarray/scipy. I promised some time ago to look into this,
but I have not gotten around to it, unfortunately.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter