[Numpy-discussion] Speeding up numarray -- questions on its design

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 19 09:37:42 EST 2005

Perry Greenfield wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2005, at 12:43 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
>> Can anyone provide a one-paragraph description of what numarray does
>> that gives it better large-array performance than Numeric?
>
> It has two aspects: one is speed, but for us it was more about memory.

Thanks for the summary, I have a better idea of the issues now.

It doesn't look, to my untrained eyes, like any of these are contrary to
  small array performance, so I'm hopeful that the grand convergence can
occur.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov