[Numpy-discussion] Proposal for making of Numarray a real Numeric 'NG'

Paul F. Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Fri Jan 21 10:21:05 EST 2005

Somehow 349,000+ accesses to the Numeric home page have occurred despite
the fact that those searching for it did not get a good education at
MIT. I had it on my own site so as to be able to use better tools than
SF lets you do. We're in the middle of changing the ownership of the
page due to my impending retirement, so perhaps that caused some confusion.

The Numeric/numpy/Numerical thing has a long funny history. You had to
be there. It isn't right but it is what it is.

When I was leading the project there was a general feeling that a lot of
the things we wanted to do with Numeric were going to be very hard to do
with the existing implementation, some of which was generated by a code
generator that had gotten lost, and some of which was impeneratable
because it was written by a genius who went to (you guessed it) MIT.

My intention was to replace Numeric with a quickly-written better
implementation. That is why the Numeric page says what it says. I've
left it that way as a reminder of the goal, which I continue to believe
is important. Besides cleaning it up, the other motivation was to back
off the 'performance at all cost' design enough that we would be 'safe'
enough to qualify for the Python distribution and become a standard
module. Numeric was written without many safety checks *on purpose*.
Over time opinions about that philosphy changed.

In fact, the team that wrote numarray did not do what I asked for,
leading to the present confusion but also to, as noted by Altet, some
nice features. I think it was unfortunate that this happened but as with
most open source projects the person doing the work does the work the
way they want and partly to satisfy their own needs. But they do the
work, all credit to them. I'm not complaining.

There are really only a couple of problems (object arrays and array
creation time) that can be fixed. What is wrong with the array creation
time is obvious. It is written in Python and has too much flexibility,
which costs time to decode. Make a raw C-level creator with less choice
and I bet it will be ok. Somebody help these guys; this isn't a product
it is an open source project. Let's get to the promised land and retire
Numeric/Numerical/numpy.