[Numpy-discussion] Proposal for making of Numarray a real Numeric 'NG'

Jason Rennie jrennie at csail.mit.edu
Fri Jan 21 11:32:58 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:17:49AM -0800, Paul F. Dubois wrote:
> Somehow 349,000+ accesses to the Numeric home page have occurred despite
> the fact that those searching for it did not get a good education at
> MIT. I had it on my own site so as to be able to use better tools than
> SF lets you do. We're in the middle of changing the ownership of the
> page due to my impending retirement, so perhaps that caused some confusion.

Sorry if I came off "big headed."  Was just trying to point out that,
to an outsider, it's, well, confusing.  And, there are some very
simple things that could be done to alleviate the confusion: a Numeric
(not Numerical, not numarray) home page, consistent nomenclature.

I'm not asking you to take your page down.  I agree, it's a cool
snapshot of history.  And, I agree with you: it's often easier to host
a home page on your own server.  I've gone through hell trying to host
the ifile home page on Savannah.  I just think there needs to be a
"Numeric" page somewhere with updated release information, pointers to
current documentation, short explanation of how Numeric is different
from numarray and maybe a short synopsis of the history behind the
project(s). :)

I'm also not trying to belittle the great achievements that are
Numeric and numarray.  I think these are both awesome packages.  I
sure can't claim to have written anything as useful.

Jason