[Numpy-discussion] Trouble installing numarray on Solaris

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Sat Jul 2 03:44:31 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 15:02 -0700, Russell E. Owen wrote:
> A user of my application reports that installing numarray 1.3.2 on
> Solaris using Python 2.3.1 has run into trouble:
>
>   prompt> python
>   Python 2.3.1 (#1, Sep 30 2003, 20:29:58) [C] on sunos5
>   Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>   >>> import numarray
>   Fatal Python error: Call to API function without first calling
>   import_libnumarray() in Src/_convmodule.c
>   Abort (core dumped)

It looks vaguely like an binary API mismatch of some kind... or one of
you numarray modules is stale or broken.  To restate the obvious,   it's
likely that numarray won't import (in C!) because import_libnumarray()
is very defintely in _convmodule.c.  Since it's there and the API
pointer was not initialized,  the libnumarray import failed.

I just tried:

Python-2.3.4 (non-debug)
numarray-1.3.2 (should be irrelevant that it's not 1.3.1)
% uname -a
SunOS <our sun> 5.8 Generic_117350-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

It checked out fine.  I recommend finding your old numarray install and
deleting it and re-installing 1.3.2.  Please let me know if that doesn't
solve the problem... I realize it's an unsatisfying answer.

Regards,
Todd