[Numpy-discussion] problem with poisson generators

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Fri Jul 15 03:57:02 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 12:13 -0300, Flavio Coelho wrote:

> 2005/7/13, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com>:
>         Hi,
>         What is the seed used?
>
> I am not setting the seed.
>

>         It is really important that you set the seed?
>
> No.
>

>         Did you build Python and numarray from source?
>

> Yes,  I  use Gentoo. I  build everything from source.
>

>         Can you reduce your code to a few lines that have the problem?
>

> Not really, poisson and binomial are the only two functions from
> Numeric that I use but they are called inside a rather complex object
> oriented code environment (objects within objetcs, being called
> recursively...) Bellow is the function within which poisson is called:
>
> def stepSEIR_s(self,inits=(0,0,0),par=(0.001,1,1,0.5,1,0,0,0),theta=0,
> npass=0,dist='poisson'):
>         """
>         Defines an stochastic model SEIR:
>         - inits = (E,I,S)
>         - par = (Beta, alpha, E,r,delta,B,w,p) see docs.
>         - theta = infectious individuals from neighbor sites
>         """
>         E,I,S = inits
>         N = self.parentSite.totpop
>         beta,alpha,e,r,delta,B,w,p = par
>         Lpos_esp = beta*S*((I+theta)/(N+npass))**alpha #Number of new
> cases
>
>         if dist == 'poisson':
>             Lpos = poisson(Lpos_esp)
> ##            if theta == 0 and Lpos_esp == 0 and Lpos > 0:
> ##                print
> Lpos,Lpos_esp,S,I,theta,N,self.parentSite.sitename
>         elif dist == 'negbin':
>             prob = I/(I+Lpos_esp) #convertin between parameterizations
>             Lpos = negative_binomial(I,prob)
>         self.parentSite.totalcases += Lpos #update number of cases
>         Epos = (1-e)*E + Lpos
>         Ipos = e*E + (1-r)*I
>         Spos = S + B - Lpos
>         Rpos = N-(Spos+Epos+Ipos)
>         #self.parentSite.totpop = Spos+Epos+Ipos+Rpos
>         self.parentSite.incidence.append(Lpos)
>         if not self.parentSite.infected:
>             if Lpos > 0:
>                 self.parentSite.infected =
> self.parentSite.parentGraph.simstep
>                 self.parentSite.parentGraph.epipath.append
> ((self.parentSite.parentGraph.simstep,self.parentSite,self.parentSite.infector))
>

>         return [Epos,Ipos,Spos]

Having this code is a good start to solving the problem.  I think the
next step is to simplify your example to make it runnable and provide
known inputs for all the parameters which lead to a failure for you.

Being really literal (spelling out every single damn thing) cuts down on
speculation and inefficiency on our end.

It would also be good to express the condition (or it's inverse) you
think is an error as an assertion,  so something like this might be what
we need:

from numarray.random_array import poisson

E, I, S = (0,0,0)
beta,alpha,e,r,delta,B,w,p = (0.001,1,1,0.5,1,0,0,0)
theta = 0
npass = 0
N = 100 # total guess here for me
Lpos_esp = beta*S*((I+theta)/(N+npass))**alpha #Number of new cases
Lpos = poisson(Lpos_esp)
assert not (theta == 0 and Lpos_esp == 0 and Lpos > 0)

The problem is,  the above works for me.  Make it sane and get it to
expose the error for you and I'll look into this some more.

Regards,
Todd