[Numpy-discussion] LAPACK/BLAS for Fedora core 4 i386 ?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 28 08:31:27 EDT 2005

Jochen Küpper wrote:
>>Does anyone have a suggestion for how to add the addional lapack
>>stuff I need, while still using atlas stuff where possible?
>
> See the ATLAS installation manual.

Thanks for the tip.

Do you mean this? :

"""
******** GETTING A FULL LAPACK LIB **************************
ATLAS does not provide a full lapack library.  However, there is a
simple way
to get ATLAS to provide its faster LAPACK routines to a full LAPACK library.
ATLAS's internal routines are distinct from LAPACK's, so it is safe to
compile
ATLAS's LAPACK routines directly into a netlib-style LAPACK library.
First, obtain the LAPACK src from netlib and build the LAPACK library as
normal.  Then, in this directory (where you should have a liblapack.a),
issue the following commands:
   mkdir tmp
   cd tmp
   ar x ../liblapack.a
   cp <your LAPACK path & lib> ../liblapack.a
   ar r ../liblapack.a *.o
   cd ..
   rm -rf tmp

Just linking in ATLAS's liblapack.a first will not get you the best LAPACK
performance, mainly because LAPACK's untuned ILAENV will be used instead
of ATLAS's tuned one.
"""

If so, I did that (see a later post to this list). However, I found that
I got about the same performance improvement doing this as I had gotten
compiling against just the atlas BLAS and lapack_lite. It makes me
wonder if I'm really getting the benefit of atlas lapack.

I don't' have hard-core performance needs at the moment, so I'm done,
but I'm still surprised I couldn't find a ready-to-go atlas rpm for
Fedora Core 4. It actually makes me miss Gentoo.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov