[Numpy-discussion] LAPACK/BLAS for Fedora core 4 i386 ?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 29 11:48:14 EDT 2005

Darren Dale wrote:
> Maybe I don't understanding something, but isn't the point of ATLAS that the
> libraries are tuned at compile time for your specific setup?

yes, but the binaries I downloaded are for the P4 processor, so I'm not
sure how much more specific I can get. I'm going to give it a try.

This does bring up a point, however. Why is lapack usually linked
statically? I usually link statically so that I can move applications to
a different system without worrying about what libraries are installed
there. However, with lapack/blas, you want to use a library compiled for
that particular machine, so it seems to make more sense to use dynamic
ones. Besides, it would be easier to compare performance if all I had to
do was drop a new *.so in place.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov