[Numpy-discussion] Current thoughts on future directions

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Mar 10 10:47:01 EST 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 18:33, Stephen Walton wrote:

> Can I put in a good word for Fortran?  Not the language itself, but
> the available packages for it.  I've always thought that one of the
> really good things about Scipy was the effort put into getting all
> those powerful, well tested, robust Fortran routines from Netlib
> inside Scipy.  Without them, it seems to me that folks who just
> install the new scipy_base are going to re-invent a lot of wheels.
>
> Is it really that hard to install g77 on non-Linux platforms?

It takes some careful reading of the instructions, which in turn
requires a good command of the English language, including some
peculiar technical terms, and either some experience in software
installation or a high intimidation threshold.

It also takes a significant amount of time and disk space.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France