[Numpy-discussion] Re: Please chime in on proposed methods for arrays

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Thu Mar 17 11:50:00 EST 2005

Joe Harrington wrote:

>I'll start by saying something positive: I am very encouraged by all
>the work that's going into resolving the small/big array split!

+1 from me.

>That said, I view a.Sin as a potentially devastating change, if
>traditional functional notation is not guarranteed to be preserved
>forever.

+2 or more on Joe's cogent comments.  Four centuries of traditional
mathematics notation should not be overthrown for the sake of OO
nirvana.  Believe me that astronomers know what it's like to be
prisoners of history;  ask one to explain the stellar magnitude scale to
you sometime!

Incidentally, one can read here why the Chandra X-Ray Observatory chose
S-Lang instead of Python for its data analysis software:

http://cxc.harvard.edu/ciao/why/slang.html