[SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Trying out Numeric3

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Mon Mar 28 05:21:18 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:

> Pearu Peterson wrote:
>> Btw, I have started scipy_core clean up. The plan is to create the
>> following package tree under Numeric3 source tree:
>>
>> For backwards compatibility, there will be
>>   Packages/{FFT,MA,RNG,dotblas+packages from numarray}/
>> and
>>   Lib/{LinearAlgebra,..}.py
>> under Numeric3 that will use modules from scipy.
>
> Just for clarification: Is this scipy_core or Numeric3 that you're working
> on? Or are they the same?

The idea was merge tools from scipy_core (that basically contains
scipy_distutils and scipy_base) to Numeric3. The features of
scipy_distutils have been stated in previous messages, some of these
features will be used to build Numeric3. scipy_base contains enhancements
to Numeric (now to be natural part of Numeric3) plus few useful python
modules. Which scipy_core modules exactly should be included to Numeric3
or left out of it, depends on how crusial are they for
building/maintaining Numeric3 and whether they are useful in general for
Numeric3 users. This is completely open for discussion. No part of
scipy_core should be blindly copied to Numeric3 project.

Pearu