[Numpy-discussion] Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Wed Mar 9 02:00:28 EST 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 9:32, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:

> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>> It would seem that while the scipy conference demonstrates a
>> continuing and even increasing use of Python for scientific
>> computing,  not as many of these users are scipy devotees.   Why?
>> I think the answers come down to a few issues which I will attempt to
>> answer with proposals.
>> 1) Plotting
> While plotting is important, I don't think that SciPy needs to offer
> plotting capabilities in order to become successful. Numerical Python
> doesn't include plotting, and it's

Thanks for your three comments, they reflect exactly my views as well,
so I'll just add a "+1" to them.

There is only one aspect I would like to add: predictibility of
development.

Python has become my #1 tool in my everyday research over the last
years. I haven't done any scientific computation for at least five
years that did not involve some Python code. Which means that I am very
much dependent on Python and some Python packages. Moreover, I publish
computational methods that I develop in the form of Python code that is
used by a community large enough to make support an important
consideration.

There are only two kinds of computational tools on which I can accept
being dependent: those that are supported by a sufficiently big and
stable community that I don't need to worry about their disappearence
or sudden mutation into something different, and those small enough
that I can maintain them in usable state myself if necessary. Python is
in the first category, Numeric in the second. SciPy is not in either
one.

The proposed division of SciPy into separately installable maintainable
subpackages could make a big difference there. The core could actually
be both easily maintainable and supported by a big enough community. So
I am all for it, and I expect to contribute to such a loser package
collection as well.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,