[Numpy-discussion] Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

Bruce Southey southey at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 9 07:24:29 EST 2005

Hi,
I fully agree with these comments but I think there is a user experience aspect
as well. This is my little rant (if you want) as a different view because I
really do appreciate the scientific python community. Please understand that
these are issues that I see as problems and do not reflect any negative view of
what is available.

The basics of Python and numarray (and Numeric almost to the same extent)
already provide what most users need, basically the implementation of matrix
algorithms.  I have not tried SciPy for some time so I really will not address
it. So in one sense, what more is there to achieve? :-)

For a user to contribute material there are some issues that I tend to think
about. As you know, it is usually easier (and quicker with Python) to write
your own code than try to adapt existing code (and the bloat issue with code
that is unnecessary to the user needs). The second aspect is being able to
contribute that code back into a package - usually this is too hard (coding
styles etc.), may not have high programming experience to be able to achieve
this and may not know how to contribute it in the first place.  This also gets
problematic when items are passed to C or Fortran.

My 'job' is not to develop packages but to get results (mainly statistics and
bioinformatics). Any free time to do development is usually nonexistant (one
has to write papers for example). I would guess that this is not uncommon for
the scientific python users.

A related issue is missing (or at least not obvious) and inflexible features.
For example, I do statistics and missing (unobserved) values are a problem
(cannot mix types or missing value code may actually occur). But I can use
masked arrays (which really means numarray) to handle this rather nicely.

I fully agree with others on directions. From a Python view, if "python
setup.py install" doesn't work 'out of the box' then there are big problems.

Regards
Bruce