[Numpy-discussion] Re: Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Mar 9 08:00:34 EST 2005

Hi all,
i'd like to introduce myself as a new member to this list.
I'm reading about how to gain new users of Scipy - well, let me be the
example of one. I'm personally using numarrays for audio work in
real-time systems such as Pure Data and Max/MSP.
I'm the author of an extension object connecting Python scriptability to
these systems (http://grrrr.org/ext/py) - numarray support for audio
processing is thus just a logical thing.

As an unexperienced user i'm currently concerned about two things:
- the dilemma/convergence of Numeric and numarrays: when writing new
ufuncs for numarrays will i be able to use them without much work in
Numeric3, in case that's the future?
- the lack of SIMD support for ufuncs: i'm used to the power of SSE and
Altivec and browsing through the ufunc code of numarrays, i don't see
any implementation of that. For my applications, this is pretty much a
must - is it possible to implement SIMD support in the current system
design and how will custom-made ufuncs be able to profit from that?

best greetings,
Thomas