[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] Current thoughts on future directions

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 11 08:59:06 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> I'm of the opinion that f2py and weave should go into the core.
<(6 good points)>

The act of putting something into the core will encourage people to use
it. My understanding of the idea of the core is that it is minimal set
of packages that various developers can use as a basis for their domain
specific stuff. One barrier to entry for people currently using the
whole of SciPy is the ease of installation issue, and f2py and weave are
easy to install, so that's not a problem.

However, if I understand it correctly, neither weave nor f2py is the
least bit useful without a compiler. If they are in the core, you are
encouraging people to use them in their larger packages, which will then
impose a dependency on compilers. This seems to me not to fit in with
the purpose of the core, which is to be a SINGLE, robust,
easy-to-install dependency that others can build on.

I suggest that weave and f2py go into a "devel" or "high-performance"
package instead.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov