[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] Current thoughts on future directions

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Tue Mar 15 23:53:48 EST 2005

On 16.03.2005, at 02:46, Fernando Perez wrote:

> The reality is that, in scientific work, you are likely to run into
> this problem at a very early stage, much more so than for other kinds
> of python usage.  For this reason, it is important that the basic
> toolset provides a clean solution from the start.

One can in fact argue that f2py, weave, and other tools (Pyrex comes to
mind) are the logical extensions of Distutils, which is part of the
Python core.

As long as they can be installed without additional requirements (in
particular requiring the compilers that they need to work), I don't
mind having them in the core distribution, though I would still have
them as logically separate packages (i.e. not scipy.core.f2py but
scipy.f2py) .

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen