[Numpy-discussion] searching a list of arrays

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Mar 27 19:01:13 EST 2005

This is because of how "==" is defined for arrays. For lists, list1==list2 if
all elements are the same; a boolean value is returned:

 >>> x = [0,1,0]
 >>> x==[0,1,0]
True
 >>> x==[1,0,0]
False

For arrays, "==" does a element-wise comparison:

 >>> from Numeric import *
 >>> x = array([0,1,0])
 >>> x==array([0,1,0])
array([1, 1, 1])
 >>> x==array([1,0,0])
array([0, 0, 1])

Now, when you count how often array([0,1,0]) appears in b, actually you evaluate
element==array([0,1,0]) for each element in b, and count how often you get a
True, with every array other than array([0,0,0]) regarded as True.

For list a, this happens to work because array([0,1]) and array([1,0]) have no
elements in common. But in this case:

 >>> a = [array([0,0]),array([0,0]),array([0,1]),array([0,1])]
 >>> a
[array([0, 0]), array([0, 0]), array([0, 1]), array([0, 1])]
 >>> a.count(array([0,0]))
4

you also get the non-intuitive answer 4.

An easy way to get this to work is to use lists instead of arrays:

 >>> b.count([0,1,0])
2

But I don't know if this solution is suitable for your application.

--Michiel.