[Numpy-discussion] Numeric-24.0b2 installation problem

Justin dlyzxl at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 08:43:10 EDT 2005

Dear friends:

I got an installation problem as following:

[rathlefs at ishmael ~/uploads/Numeric-24.0b2]$ ./python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building '_numpy' extension
cc -DNDEBUG -O -IInclude -IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include -I/home/rathlefs/languages/activePython/include/python2.4 -c Src/_numpymodule.c -o build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.4/Src/_numpymodule.o
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
error: command 'cc' failed with exit status 1

and I am guessing it is related to C compiler, and got suggestion from system administrator as following:

The only compiler on the system is the GNU C compiler. Try
using /usr/local/bin/gcc
/usr/ucb/cc is only a wraper the the Sun compiler, which is not
installed

I am only an user for the solaris system (Ultra-sparc III) and want to install the Numerical Python under my account. I already installed activePython2.4.1 under my account successfully . Can anyone give me some suggestion about the installation?

thanks,

Justin