[Numpy-discussion] MemoryError: can't allocate memory for array

Vasisht R. Tadigotla vasisht at eden.rutgers.edu
Sun May 29 20:24:22 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using Numerical Python 24 beta 2 with python 2.4.1 on Fedora Core 2
and get a memory error when I try to allocate a large array of float,
though the system isn't swapping and there's memory available when I do a
free.

>from Numeric import *
>w=zeros((3000,3,3000,3),Float)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
MemoryError: can't allocate memory for array

I've verified using malloc that I can allocate upto 1GB of memory. I get
the same error using numarray-1.3.2 instead of numeric.

Is there any way of finding out why this error occurs ?

Thanks,
Vasisht