[Numpy-discussion] Writing/reading a numeric array to a file

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Nov 9 11:22:27 EST 2005

N. Volbers wrote:

> (2) Does it make sense to still use numarray? I know Travis would say
> "use scipy_core". However, for me this would provide much unneeded
> functionality and I have not yet found an easy way to install
> scipy_core (it seems to require ATLAS and such, which are not so easy
> to install if you don't have it prepackaged).  And after all, my goal
> is to cut down dependencies...

What unneeded functionality is there.  SciPy Core is just a Numeric
replacement.  It does not NEED Atlas, it just uses it if you have it ---
exactly the same as Numeric and numarray.

It is a misconception to say scipy core needs any thing else but Python
installed.   So, let's not let that rumor kill convergence to a single
package.

> (4) What solutions do you use to save/load data to files?

SciPy core arrays have tofile methods and a fromfile function.  They are
raw reading and writing --- nothing fancy.   You need to use Pickling if
you want to recognize endian-ness among platforms.  What is your
opposition to Pickling?

I think you should take a look at PyTables for more elegant solutions.

-Travis